Thursday, October 25, 2012

Nectarine & Apple Crisp

Fall is such a beautiful time here in the Northeastern part of the United States and apple picking goes hand-in-hand with this season.  We have a lot of Orchards that offer pick-your-own and we've made it a family tradition to go each year.  And with apple picking comes lots of opportunities to bake!  I love apple muffins, apple crisp, apple pie, apple turnovers, apple sauce... I think you get the picture.

Anyway, when I was making apple crisp one night I had a few nectarines that I threw in and it was fabulous!

I've made apple crisp before and have come up with my own version of the topping and find it to be just right for my taste, you can tweak it to be sweeter, not as sweet, etc.

INGREDIENTS:
On fruit:
-4 Tablespoons white sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Topping:
-3/4 cup oats
-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
-3/4 cup brown sugar
-1/4 cup all purpose flour
-1/4 cup room temperature butter


Peel and slice nectarines and apples and place in a 2 quart baking dish, sprinkle with white sugar and cinnamon.  Stir until well combined.


In another dish mix oats, cinnamon, brown sugar, flour and butter until crumbly.
Spread evenly onto fruit.


Bake at 350 degrees for about 30-35 minutes or until golden brown on top and fruit is soft.



Let cool for a few minutes (I like it when it's still warm but tastes good cold too) and enjoy!


Yum!  It was great, and the addition of the nectarines was a sweet surprise.


The next morning... waffles and fruit crisp!  It's kind of a ridiculously perfect combination.

No comments:

Post a Comment