Friday, August 3, 2012

frame game


What you'll need :
  • spray paint 
  • frames
  • something to hang them with
  • mirrors (optional - you could do all frames)
This is a project I did over a year ago so unfortunately I have no step-by-step photos - but, after reading how simple it is I can guarantee you won't need them.

February 2011 my husband turned 30 and just before his big shin-dig, literally days, I decided I wanted to do some repainting.  Our house has a lot of brown, like paper bag brown, walls - so much that I was starting to feel like we lived in a cardboard box.

I knew exactly what I wanted so I marched down to my local home improvement store and picked up a gallon of Behr's Granite Grey and voila!  But this wall - and yes, I cropped it so you couldn't see my uber messy desk underneath... and because I have some other projects pending that involve this area - needed something else.

So I grabbed a can of glossy black spray paint, a bunch of frames - some I had, others I got on clearance for 1.00-2.00 at a local craft store - gave them two coats and let them dry overnight.  I also found the mirrors at a craft store as well, and only paid 5.00 per set of three.

The next day I laid out all the frames and mirrors on the floor and once I found a configuration I liked used some of those putty style hook-and-eye hangers to place them on the wall.  And this Fall after we had some professional photos taken I added the photo in the middle.

We've gotten so many compliments on this wall and it was so super simple, really inexpensive and creates a high-end looking design without the big price tag.  So the next time you're out-and-about check the clearance section of your local craft store, or if you're a flea marketer/yard saler be on the lookout for frames.  A lot of these frames were some really awful colors but you'd be amazed at what a can of spray paint can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment