Tuesday, August 14, 2012

kitchen cake

Whenever I'm invited to any type of shower I'm always so excited because it's the beginning of something new - in this case it was a wedding shower.  So I decided to try my hand at a kitchen cake.

What you'll need :
This will vary, I had never done anything like this before so it took me a bit to figure out what I wanted to use, luckily my husband agreed to come shopping with me so while he was occupying our girls I searched for all these goodies.
Here's what I came up with :
-1 packet kitchen towels
-1 packet kitchen wash cloths
-small cutting board
-measuring spoons
-bamboo utensil set with holder
-ribbon (I had this already)


I've made a few diaper cakes for baby showers but never anything like this, here goes!


First I covered the cutting board with one of the kitchen towels, this was my 'base'


Then, using two of the dish cloths, fold them into thirds and roll them up.


They'll look something like this.  Now take these and stuff them into the utensil holder.  This is a good way to make sure whatever you put inside won't move around.

Now, here come the tricky parts... and of course the ones I forgot to take pictures of (oops!).

Once the small dish cloths are in the utensil holder I took the second dish towel, folded it into thirds and wrapped it around the outside of the utensil holder.  I then took a dish cloth and folding it into a triangle wrapped that around the base as well.  After securing it with a ribbon I was able to slide some of the utensils around the outside.  This was a trial-and-error process, I did it a few different ways before coming to this result.

Once that was finished I folded the last dish cloth into a triangle and put it on the outside lip of the utensil holder.  Now you can put the remaining utensils inside, and any other little trinkets you've found.


Ta-da!  A cute kitchen cake that is full of useful things for the bride-to-be or kitchen enthusiast in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment