Thursday, November 29, 2012

Day 29: becoming a mother

Dear Brooklyn,

Today is your fourth birthday.  I can remember the day you were born as clear as if it were yesterday.  By the time you had arrived at 7:49am your father and I had been up almost all night.  We had gotten to the hospital late the night before...  Fast-forward to the moment the Doctor first laid you in my arms and I could have sworn time stopped.  There was a room full of nurses but all I saw was you, you were screaming but it was the most blissful sound my ears had ever heard, it didn't matter that I was entirely exhausted because you were here, and well worth every excruciating second.

The last four years have been awesome.  At times trying, but all the while rewarding and now I see the sweet little girl you've become and know that all this hard work is paying off.  Thank you for teaching me to enjoy the little things, and for always giving me a reason to smile.  Believe it or not you have taught me more about myself in the last four years than I could have ever learned on my own.

You're sweet, gentle, caring, stubborn, strong-willed, funny, silly, and you always keep me on my toes.  And I wouldn't change you one bit.  I look forward to all the fun adventures life has in store for us, and to watch you grow into a beautiful young woman.  Just promise me you won't do it too quickly, deal?

I love you, Brooklyn, this whole time. <3

No comments:

Post a Comment